Monday, October 07, 2013

Banana-chocolate chip cake

I'm sorry I didn't get a better picture of this banana chocolate-chip cake because I am short-changing it. I've been eating this for as long as I can remember and it's delicious. When we were kids, my siblings and I had an unwritten rule to always leave two or three bananas in the fruit bowl to brown. Like magic, they'd turn into this cake. 

I don't think I've made it since I moved out on my own over a decade ago. At a wedding recently, a friend of a friend came up to me. She'd been making this cake with what she'd just learned was my Mom's recipe, and was raving about it. Alas, my Mom can't take the credit either; it's from a Company's Coming cookbook, a popular line of Canadian cookbooks. I don't have the original recipe and it's possible there were a couple of modifications along the way, but here it is, as dictated to me!

xx

Using a fork, mash 1 cup very ripe bananas (approximately 2-3) in a bowl. In a stand mixer, beat together 1/2 cup butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar. Add 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla and beat. Add mashed bananas and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt and beat.

In a separate bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Working in batches and with the mixer on low speed, add flour mixture and stir until just blended. Fold in 1-1/4 cups chocolate chips.

Pour cake batter in a greased 9x13in pan. Bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.



3 comments:

  1. This exact time yesterday, I was furiously brainstorming ideas on what to do with my almost overripe bananas. I wish I had seen this because, duh, banana CAKE. Instead, I made banana pullapart bread. Good, but still. Banana CAKE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so moist and delicious. Banana and chocolate are such a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG there is nothing better than banana and chocolate cake. NOTHING. This looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!