Monday, April 30, 2012

Homemade sweet-and-sour sauce

Asian stirfrys are a go-to dish for me during weeknights because they're quick to prepare. I've been getting weary of teriyaki sauce, so this time I decided to try a homemade sweet-and-sour one that's a combination of various recipes I found online. I'm not going to lie, your local Chinese takeout version probably packs more flavour but this one is far more artery-friendly. And when paired with fresh shrimp and vegetables you can satisfy that take-out craving without the guilt. It'll even have that authentic orange colour to further trick your brain!

To make the sauce, combine 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/2 diced hot chili pepper, the juice from one can of canned pineapples, 2T brown sugar, 1T honey, 1 tsp grated ginger, 1 clove garlic, and a sprinkle of mustard powder in a small saucepan. Whisk 1T cornstarch in an equal amount of water, and add to sauce. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat slightly and continue boiling gently for several minutes until sauce thickens to desired consistency. I let mine boil for about 6-7 minutes but wish I'd thickened it a little more - maybe 10 minutes.

For the stirfy, I sauteed 1 red onion and 2 red peppers, cut into bite-sized wedges, in 1 tsp vegetable oil until crispy-tender, then added the canned pineapple and 2 cups of cooked shrimp and cooked until heated through. Fresh pineapple would add a nicer depth of flavour, particularly if it was grilled.

I served over rice with the sauce, and topped it with sesame seeds.


1 comment:

  1. stylelustpages3 May 2012 at 00:42

    Oh wow! That looks AMAAZING!

    xo,Cortnie
    http://stylelustpages.com

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!