Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fish tacos

Lately I've been feeling more cooking inspiration than outfit inspiration. I think it's the backwards season we've been having. We started off the month with 27C weather and yesterday it snowed. Who wants to see wool layers on a fashion blog in spring? So off we head to the kitchen and a dish I've been wanting to try ever since I saw I Love You Man - fish tacos! I know these are a staple in parts of the U.S. but I've only come across them once in Ottawa and that was at a fusion restaurant. My homemade version was easy to make and healthy with a pleasing crunch. They also made me want to strap on some rollerblades and head to a beach-side boardwalk.

I started with leftover baked trout from dinner the night before. When I make these again, I'll make bread the fish before baking (pat fish dry; dredge in flour; then in whisked-egg-and-milk mixture; then in Panko breadcrumbs; then bake). 

To make the sauce, I combined 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup light mayonnaise, the juice and rind of one lime, 1 diced jalapeno, 1T dill, 1T capers, 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp cumin. The lime flavour came through quite strongly which I liked. If you end up with leftover sauce, it makes a tasty spread for tuna-and-roasted tomato sandwiches.
Assemble the tacos using flaked pieces of fish, butter lettuce, cilantro, diced cucumber, diced avocado, and halved cherry tomatoes. Add sauce to taste.


Note: My sauce looks more like cottage cheese because I thought I'd add Panko breadcrumbs to it right before serving and before they got soggy. It didn't work.



4 comments:

  1. kat, your blog should be about whatever you decide, ya know? great taco presentation. did you love them? i mean except for the bread crumb thing not working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually never had a fish taco but I want to try it! It's so colorful and it looks nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know- what's the snow all about? I had just started to bring all my winter clothes down to my storage locker but nope- they're here to stay for a while longer it looks like! I loved the movie "I love you Man" and I loved fish tacos (when I ate meat) but for now I love veggie tacos with soy ground round- I have them at least once a week- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG fish tacos are my FAVORITE - these look amazing!

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!