Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mussels with saffron-cream sauce

Ever since my work trip to Brussels, I've been harbouring (no pun intended) a craving for mussels. As far as seafood goes, they're pretty inexpensive. Leads one to wonder why I tried to save even more money by buying them at Costco, even though it was basically a crate's worth. I had to clear out half the fridge just to make room for the thing. So we had one batch on a weekend and then I had to cook the rest of them again on the Monday before they went bad. Monday nights I also play volleyball. So this lovely meal had to be shovelled down before I ran out the door. (*Sound of balloon deflating*) That also explains the atrocious photo quality. If you make this dish, it's worth savouring - and open a bottle of white while you're at it!

To make mussels:


Sort and scrub 2 lbs mussels, reserving the juice in which they were resting. This step is important so you get rid of any mussels that are already dead. There are how-to videos on youtube if you're not sure how to do this. Note: 2 lbs is usually enough for 3-4 people.


Prepare 3/4 cup fish stock and set aside. I wasn't about to make my own; I used this good quality powdered one. Dice 1 small onion and 2 cloves of garlic and slice 12 mushrooms. Melt 1T butter in a large pot (ensure it comes with a tight-fitting lid for later) over medium heat, then sautee onion and garlic until onion is translucent, stirring regularly. Add fish stock, 3/4 cup white wine, several tablespoons of reserved mussel juice and a couple of threads of saffron.

Add mussels to pot, cover with lid and steam for a couple of minutes or until mussels open up. Discard any that remain closed, then remove mussels with a slotted spoon.
Bring liquid to a boil and reduce by about a third. Add 2T heavy cream then simmer for several minutes. Serve mussels and broth with hunk of baguette (if you have a hunk and a baguette even better!) and a green salad.


Variation: 
Substitute fennel for onion.






For this post I'm linking up with Carole's Chatter Food on Fridays - Fish and Seafood edition

4 comments:

  1. wow...normally i can't eat mussels because of a weak stomach. But this looks too good...the sauce looks delectable too

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks easy..

    http://navlandstyle.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you linked in, thanks.
    I'll put in the recipe name for you.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!