Sunday, September 15, 2013

Zucchini-yogurt muffins

For a baked good, this muffin recipe crams in a whole bunch of healthy ingredients: zucchini, Greek yogurt, applesauce and flaxseed. They're fluffy yet slightly moist, and best eaten hot out of the oven. I very lightly adapted this recipe

xx

Prepare 2 cups of grated zucchini, place in colander, and squeeze with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and allow to drain. 

In a stand-up mixer, beat together 3 eggs and 1/2 cup brown sugar until frothy. Mix in 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1/4 cup honey and 2 tsp vanilla extract.

Separately, in a large mixing bowl, sift together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup rolled oats, and 3T ground flaxseed, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 2-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Working in batches, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in grated zucchini.

Scoop mixture into muffin cups (about 3/4 of the way up the side). Brush muffin tops with a little honey, then bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
 

3 comments:

  1. I love love love love love zuchinni bread, so I know these muffins are quite the treat.I put a lot of cinnamon and nutmeg in mine and depending on how I feel, walnuts or pecans and it is so great that way. I have to try your muffin recipe. These look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, there are never too many recipes for zucchini! I don't really like them as is, and I usually grate them or process them very finely and then bake/pan fry the hell out of them before I deem them edible ;) I never thought of adding applesauce as a moistener before! That's genius! And i bet this tasted awesome like Fall with the spices and the honey glaze!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!