Saturday, August 03, 2013

Prosciutto-wrapped scallops on creamy polenta with wilted spinach

This is the second recipe I made using giant scallops (see the first one here). I adapted this recipe by making the polenta creamier and brushing the prosciutto with maple syrup, and skipping the white wine sauce. 

If I made this again, I wouldn't use the sage because I find the flavour too strong for the delicate scallops. The dish had a nice mix of textures, but it felt like it needed another standout flavour, though not something that would overwhelm the scallops. Maybe I should have kept the white wine sauce? Or substituted sundried tomatoes for the blistered cherry tomatoes? Or added some confit lemon? Any suggestions?

xx

To make polenta, bring 1-3/4 cup milk, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup light cream and a bay leaf to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add 1-3/4 cup cornmeal and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 20 minutes, stirring regularly. Season to taste. Spread polenta into a 9 x 5" baking dish and let sit and harden for about 30 minutes. Using a pizza roller, cut into 6 slices. Brush both side with olive oil, then saute over medium-high heat for about two minutes per side. 

Heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Add 4 very large handfuls of raw spinach leaves and a bit of water. Cook until just wilted, stirring occasionally. Squeeze out excess liquid.

Brush six prosciutto slices with maple syrup, then roll each slice around a scallop, maple-side in. Slide three scallops onto a wooden bamboo skewer, alternating with cherry tomatoes. Wrap the ends in foil to avoid burning. Broil or grill the skewers over high heat for 4-5 minutes, turning once. 

To serve, heap wilted spinach onto 2 polenta slices, and top with the scallop skewer.


1 comment:

  1. I probably would have kept the white wine - and I say hat knowing nothing about scallops except how the French very often cook them, since I've never eaten one myself...! So you might want to wait for a suggestion from someone else ;)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!