Sunday, December 23, 2012

Seven days of holiday baking: Day 7 - Lemon curd

I was a little gung-ho with posting my holiday baking recipes, being that 7 days of baking only brought us to the 23rd. But I consider that Christmas starts on the 24th, so can we say close enough? Be sure to check back in tomorrow. I'm doing something slightly different...a reveal of our bedroom/bathroom makeover!
  
Originally, I was going to post my recipe for pumpkin cookies for Day 7. Sadly, they didn't turn out as well as I hoped and need some work. I still served them to my friends, who are probably pausing mid-bite as they read this ;) Instead, I'm sharing a lemon curd recipe from my Mom's collection that we made as a Christmas gift for my grandmother.

To make, grate rind and juice four Meyer lemons and set aside. Whisk 4 eggs in a mixing bowl and set aside. In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup salted butter. Whisk in 2 cups white sugar, the lemon rind and lemon juice, and the beaten eggs. Cook on stovetop over medium-low for about 25 minutes, stirring regularly with a whisk to avoid burning on the bottom. Gradually increase the heat to medium or medium-high if the curd isn't thickening. Continue cooking until about the texture of Greek yogurt. Ours got to this point after about three minutes of gentle boiling. Remove from heat and leave to set for about an hour.

If you want to preserve the curd, spoon it into sterilized mini Mason jars. It will keep in the freezer for
3 months or the refrigerator for 6 weeks. We intend to use ours up quickly, so we used small screw-top Tupperware containers.


There are myriad uses for lemon curd - use it in baking (trifle, tarts, cakes, pies, cupcakes)
, serve it for breakfast (over scones, crepes, muffins, berries, or yogurt) or eat it straight off the spoon!






1 comment:

  1. If you ever venture to the Chicago area you can come to my house and bake to your little hearts content! Merry Christmas my friend!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!