Thursday, April 17, 2014

Turkey chili

Believe it or not, this is the first batch of chili I've made. In my life. I know, right? I've enjoyed it at other people's homes but for some reason it just never crossed my mind to make it myself. But it's never too late to start, I thought as I rolled up my sleeves and peered at my sister's recipe. I used her instructions as a starting point but took plenty of detours in coming up with this version.

Don't judge me by my relative chili inexperience. Unlike most other dishes attempted for the first time, this one was a hit right off the bat, and quickly gobbled up. Nowadays I'm looking forward to lighter spring and summer fare (hoping our condo building BBQ is set up soon!). But when summer invariably turns to fall and winter again - a notion I can't even contemplate now - it'll be nice to know that this comfort food with layers of flavour awaits.

xx

The night before you make this recipe, soak 2-1/2 cups kidney beans in water.

Dice 2 small red onions and set aside. Deseed and chop 2 yellow peppers in 1" pieces. Chop 2 Portabello mushrooms into 1" pieces. Dice 6 cloves garlic. Using a mortar and pestle, grind one dried ancho chile, including the seeds (this will make a medium spicy chili; for a mildly spicy version, remove the seeds and stem).

In a heavy-bottom saucepan, heat 2T olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. Working in batches, brown 3/4 lb ground turkey and 4 coarsely chopped sausages (I used ham and maple-flavoured ones). Transfer meat and onions to a crockpot. 

Add mushrooms, peppers, ancho chile, drained kidney beans, 2 large tins of diced tomato, 2T Worchestire sauce and 1T hickory-flavoured smoke sauce to crockpot. Stir in 1T onion powder, 1T chili powder, 1 tsp celery salt and 1 tsp pepper.

Cook on low for 8 hours. 

Serve with grated aged cheddar and crusty bread on the side.




1 comment:

  1. ya know, I never cooked my own chili either until just a couple years ago-- and I don't know why I haven't! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!