Saturday, January 28, 2012

Roasted beet salad with feta, bean sprouts and candied nuts

This beet salad came together out of the ingredients I found lurking in the bottom of my fridge drawers, but I really liked how the flavours turned out. Then again, I don't think you can ever go wrong with roasted vegetables. 

The deep reddish-purple of the beets provides a beautiful contrast against the other ingredients. This salad is easy to 'plate' for an impressive presentation. I chose a glossy black patterned serving dish, but a silver tray would be gorgeous as well.

To make salad, roast 3-4 beets by wrapping each individually in aluminum foil and baking at 375 for 45-60 minutes. Once the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins by rubbing them with your thumbs. Wear gloves if you want avoid staining your hands, but making beets is always a messy process. Slice beets into half-rounds. 

Add a handful of crumbled feta, some bean sprouts and 1/4 cup of candied nuts. (My recipe for candied nuts can be found here - I used a mix of almonds and pecans for this one). 

Drizzle salad with a small amount of honey.

Variations:
Add radicchio or arugula.
Add finely chopped orange rind.
Substitute bean sprouts for thinly sliced pear.
Substitute nuts for seeds, such as toasted pumpkin seeds.

7 comments:

  1. kat that salad looks very pretty, & i'm sure it's very healthy, says the vegetarian me. can i please oh please leave off the beets? i like all the other ingredients, i swear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like beets but it has great health effects. The salad does look nice with the red.
    www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say I never like beets but I don't think I've ever given them a shot. This looks delicious and very elegant- will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not big on beets but with all these other delicious ingredients maybe I could give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!