Thursday, June 23, 2011

Swapped LBD

Posting an all-black outfit consisting of a dress, heels and simple jewellery feels a little  sinful, by blogger standards. Where's the overload of accessories? The colourful pants? The artful layering?  To that I quote: "I do want to express myself, ok? And I don't need 37 pieces of flair to do it." Calculated restraint can still deliver a punch, and you run less risk of your outfit wearing YOU.

I wore this little number to a friend's moving away party after scoring it during a clothing swap. I've been to two swaps now, and despite being different sizes everyone has always managed to leave with at least a couple of items. Asking people to bring unwanted accessories - shoes, bags, jewellery, belts, sunglasses, scarves - can also be a fun way of getting around sizing issues. At the end of the swap, we donated all the unclaimed pieces to a recent refugee from Haiti. Doing good for your wallet, the environment, your closet, your friends *and* a random stranger = warm and fuzzies all around.

See pictures and read more about our swap on EF Magazine online. This up-and-coming Ottawa-based magazine is dedicated to sustainable fashion - check it out!

xx









I'm still surprised my grandmother ever owned this!

Dress – Seductions (via clothing swap)
Earrings – ? (Sydney) (also seen here)
Shoes – Guess (Winners)
Ring – Le Chateau
Purse - from my grandmother's closet

4 comments:

  1. This was a fabulous swap piece! you look amazing in it and its a piece you can remix in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab dress, and LOVE the vintage purse :)

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing dress! I may have to make a trip to Ottawa next time you go to a fashion swap, such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot hot hot! I love the black dress, and don't even get me started on the shoes...

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!