Monday, March 02, 2015

Waldorf couscous and chicken salad

 "Maybe I can put off going to the grocery store ONE more day." Raise your hand if you can relate. Slim pickings from the fridge, freezer and pantry turned into this couscous and chicken dish, modelled after a Waldorf salad (recipe is my own). I wasn't planning to put it on the blog, but it turned out to be so yummy I had to share! It's healthy, fresh-tasting and also super-easy to make. This recipe serves four.

xx

To prepare the chicken:
Whisk together 2T olive oil, 2T walnut oil, 2T lemon juice, 1T regular mustard, and salt and pepper. Pour over 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and marinate for several hours. 
Remove from marinade and cut the chicken into 1" strips. Sauté over medium-high heat until no longer pink. (You may not need to add much - if any - oil to the pan because of the residual marinade). 

To prepare the dressing:
This is the part where my recipe gets a little embarrassing. I'd bought a spinach dip that wasn't very good, so I'd been trying to find other uses for it. I scooped out half the container and watered it down with a little milk. Then I put it back in the fridge for about 20 minutes to set. That's it. That's the dressing. If you have plain yogurt or sour cream on hand (which I didn't), I'd suggest using a spoonful or two of this as well. 

To prepare the couscous:
Cook 1-1/3 cups dry couscous according to package directions. After fluffing with a fork, add 3 apples (I used empire), cored and cut into 1" pieces, 4 stalks of celery, sliced, 2/3 cup of pecans, coarsely chopped, and 2/3 cup raisins. Add chicken and dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve at room temperature. 


1 comment:

  1. This is such a unique interpretation of Waldorf salad. Never imagined it with couscous, but I bet it is delicious. Waldorf is one of my favorite salads.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!