Sunday, March 08, 2015

A Canadian's guide to jackets: the fur coat

This is my second post in my 'A Canadian's guide to jacket' series. 
Previous post here: down-filled parka

xx

THE FORECAST: Cold, -20°C, and dark from an early winter sunset

THE OCCASION: Formal/semi-formal

THE JACKET: Burkholder

I bought this coat for $125 second-hand for reasons that are equal parts ethical and financial. It's by a storied Canadian brand, Burkholder, which was founded in 1901 but went out of business around the turn of the century. It's exquisitely made, the material is in excellent condition, and it's even monogrammed on the inside! The coat is made of two different types of fur (one otter, another I can't recall) and has leather detailing. When I bought it it had a faint musty smell I was convinced was just from the store. Unfortunately, it still lingers (lesson learned). When I plan to wear the coat, I air-fluff it in the dryer with a dryer sheet and that works temporarily. On the plus side, this coat is weighty and unbelievably warm. It's a very traditional style, so I wear it for formal occasions, like winter weddings. 

I suck it up and keep my head and neck bare but wear leather gloves for warmth. On my feet, I'll usually wear these wedge boots and change into indoor footwear after. 






I also wore it for a 'snobby rich'-themed Halloween get-together (at a winery, natch).


Coat - Birkholder via thrift store
Tights - Winners
Boots - Ecco via Winners
Earrings - Avon
Gloves - Winners

3 comments:

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!