Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Canadian's guide to jackets: the layered jacket and vest

This is the fifth post in my 'A Canadian's guide to jacket' series. 



Previous posts here: down-filled parkafur coatcar coat, wrap coat



xx

THE FORECAST: 0°C at midday, but dropping to -10°C as the sun starts to set

THE OCCASION: Playing tourist in your hometown


THE JACKET: lightweight quilted down jacket + quilted down vest



Like Pinterest and the foldout cupholders in Porter planes, I didn't know how much I needed this insulation layer jacket in my life until I had it. It was a Christmas gift from a family member working at Lolë. A true workhorse, it can be worn on its own or layered under a coat or vest for extra, downy warmth. Sometimes I'll get home and just keep it on for a while to ward off chills. It's light as a feather and very squishy, so it's great for travel. You can get similar ones at most outdoor stores. Spend the money. You won't regret it. 


A down vest lets me add or remove layers as the temperature changes. I've found both of my down vests at thrift and consignment stores, so you may not need to pay full price if you don't mind shopping secondhand.

Earmuffs keep ears from burning when it's not quite cold enough for hats; the scarf's mostly for decoration.







Jacket - Lolë
Vest - Eddie Bauer via thrift store
Leggings - Wilfred via Aritzia
Shirt - Guess
Scarf - RW & Co.
Gloves - J. Crew
Boots - Blondo
Earmuffs - Mall kiosk


No comments:

Post a Comment

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!