Monday, July 29, 2013

Broiled scallops over apple slaw with honey-soy drizzle

I haven't been able to take many outfit photos in the past few weeks but I'm hoping to rectify. After all, we only get a few short weeks for warm weather clothing. I've made a couple of yummy recipes (of the use the oven for as little time as possible variety) so I'll fill the gaps with some food posts.

I bought a dozen giant scallops as a treat for a gourmet weekend dinner. I decided to experiment by using them in not one but two recipes. Both were delicious, but both B and I deemed this one the winner. I'll post the second recipe soon. 

The Asian-inspired vinaigrette and torn mint in the coleslaw added sharp freshness, and the crunchy vegetables were a pleasing contrast to the slippery smooth scallops. The honey-soy reduction added a nice bit of sweetness, and we even had a little bit left over for another use. This recipe is my own, and serves two.

xx

I used a half a bag of salad mix from Costco made with shredded broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale and chicory. I omitted the salad accompaniments - sunflower seeds and dried cranberries - and substituted my own vinaigrette. 

To make vinaigrette, whisk together 1/4 cup sesame oil, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1T sugar, 1 tsp fish sauce and the juice of 1/2 lime. Toss with salad.

In a small saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup sherry, 1/4 dark soy sauce and 1/4 cup honey. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue boiling until liquid is reduced by about half. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool and thicken further. My sauce ended up more viscous than in the photo after it cooled for another couple of minutes.

Thread six scallops onto a long bamboo skewer and wrap the ends in foil to avoid burning. Grill or broil scallops on very high heat for about 4-5 minutes, turning once. 

Serve scallops over coleslaw and drizzle with soy reduction.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of this recipe - even though I'm vegetarian and would probably swap out the scallops for something like sweet potato, the combination of flavours sounds just wonderful!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!