Friday, October 14, 2011

Guest post: Tinfoil Tiaras's thrifted blue vest remix

Kat: Both in real life and on her blog, Emily strikes me as peppy, friendly and energetic gal who doesn't take herself too seriously. She's a thifty shopper who's not afraid of the occasional fashion risk and has honed her remixing ability by participating in challenges like the 30 for 30. Emily manages to come up with looks I'd never dream of, so lucky for us, she broke down the process in the outfits below. Check out Tinfoil Tiaras for more of Emily's style!

Hello everyone- it’s Emily from Tinfoil Tiaras here to show you how I mix, match and remix from my closet.  If you read my blog, you know I’m a big fan of colour so I thought what better item to remix than a bright blue leather Danier vest! I bought this vest for $15 at a vintage shop in Toronto’s Kensington Market area and I’m yet to wear it so I had fun trying out different looks that will hopefully translate into future outfits! 


Monochromatic
One of my favourite fall trends is the monochromatic look because it’s simple yet chic.  While bright blue may not be everyone’s go to colour for autumn, to me there’s nothing better than bright colours on a cold and dreary day!  This is an example of an outfit that could take you from career to cocktails with minimal effort!
Vest- Danier (Thrifted); Dress- Gap; Bracelet- Macy’s; Heels- Garage Sale


Layering
As the temperature drops, we need to start layering (especially us Canadians!) What better way to layer than with comfortable jeans, an oversized sweater, sparkly flats and a pop of colour in the vest and hat! I would wear this outfit out for a weekend coffee (or in my case apple cider) or while running errands (because who says you can’t look good while grocery shopping!)
Vest- Danier (Thrifted); Jeans- Thrifted; Sweater & Hat- H&M; Belt- Ann Taylor Loft; Flats- Payless Shoes


Edgy
My style usually veers more towards feminine silhouettes but sometimes I’m in the mood for an edgier look.  I love how the bright blue vest spices up the black outfit and the oversized earrings and peep-toe booties add just the right amount of sass! This outfit would be great for an art gallery opening or poetry readings (which I am yet to attend but is on my bucket list of must-try activities!) 
Vest- Danier (Thrifted);Top- Joe Fresh (Thrifted); Pants- Thrifted; Booties-Charlotte Russe; Earrings- AMH Style


Pattern Mixing
Pattern mixing can be a daunting task so a good way to start out is by separating the patterns (in this case florals and stripes) with a solid colour (the blue vest).  This way you’re easing into the trend without the abrasive feel of pattern on pattern.  The purple heels help to incorporate the colours from the floral blouse so the look isn’t lost. This would be a fun outfit to wear out for lunch and shopping with friends a la Sex and the City!
Vest- Danier (Thrifted); Blouse- Thrifted; Skirt- Gap; Heels- Suzy Shier


Feminine & Funky
I love the juxtaposition of pairing an edgy item (like this vest) with a frilly and feminine piece (like this white lace dress).  While this outfit would work better in spring or summer, it could be translated into fall and winter with the addition of tights and a chunky sweater.  Keeping the vest open directs your eyes to the accessories.  I would wear this out for date night or to a cocktail party.
Vest- Danier (Thrifted); Dress- Gifted; Necklace- Dragon Moon (Boutique in Perth, ON); Heels- Spring (Thrifted)

I hope you’re inspired to incorporate bright colours into your fall wardrobe, remixing as you go along... because there’s nothing better than finding fresh and fun ways to wear that neglected piece of clothing hiding under a pile of clothes at the back of your closet!    

7 comments:

  1. Great job Emily! What a great vest. The color looks great on you! Love your feminine and funky look the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blouse in the pattern mixing outfit is awesome! I really like all the different outfits. The first and last are my favourites. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great remixing! The monochromatic look is something I do a lot. I like wearing different shades of blue together. You nailed it, as usual.

    But I gotta say, I think the edgy look might be my favorite! I know we don't see you like this very often, but you look very sassy and fierce! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily inspires me daily but this remix post really inspired me. I loved every look but was particularly in awe of the Layering and the Feminine and Funky looks. GORGEOUS!!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. my favourite is definitely the last one since that dress is stunning and the vest looks so cool with those matching shoes and necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice look!
    love the shoes in the last photo
    I'm so inspired

    http://bobbieaustinscloset.com/

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!