Sunday, March 18, 2012

Duck confit hash

This decadent brunch recipe has been on my mind for months, even since I spotted it in the LCBO's complimentary quarterly Food and Drink magazine. I actually woke up giddy with excitement the Saturday I decided to make it. It was rich but not too much so, immensely satisfying, and cost a fraction of what it would in a restaurant (under $12 for two portions). As usual, I put my own twist on the original recipe (like adding sweet potatoes and mushroom) but if you're interested it can be found here. The recipe made enough for two with leftovers.

To prepare vegetables and potatoes:

I recommend doing this step ahead of time. I was making roasted vegetables for a batch of spaghetti sauce one night and used the opportunity to roast what I needed for the hash.
Thinly slice one small sweet onion and 6-8 mushrooms. Peel and dice 2 white potatoes and 1 sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Toss onion, mushrooms and potatoes with about 2T olive oil, then spread into a single layer on a baking sheet (you may need two baking sheets). Roast at 375 for 45-60 minutes, turning occasionally.

 To prepare duck: 

Heat 1T oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place one duck confit leg, skin-side down, in skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until skin is slightly crispy. Turn over and cook for 2 minutes. Carefully drain all duck fat from skillet and reserve in a bowl. Remove skin from duck and cook in skillet over low heat until skin is crisp and any fat has melted. Crumble skin and reserve. Strip duck meat from bones and discard the bones. Tear meat into strips or chop and reserve.

To prepare hash:

Heat 1T reserved duck fat in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, onions, mushrooms and duck and sauté until heated through. Season with salt and pepper and add 1 tsp thyme. 

Serve topped with a fried or poached egg, parsley, and crumbled duck skin.


{I used a Plaisirs gastronomiques duck confit from Costco}

{Roasted white potatoes and vegetables. Sweet potatoes not shown}

{Sauteeing all the ingredients in the reserved duck fat}

8 comments:

  1. Whateverismarveloustoday19 March 2012 at 02:22

    Looks so delicious! I love duck! Lovely blog :)
    xoxo,
    camelia
    whateverismarveloustoday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had duck! Looks so tastey!

    www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com
    Vintage Collar Necklace Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! I absolutely love duck, but I prefer wild to farm-raised, just because the later tends to be so fat and greasy. I grew up eating wild-caught haunted ducks and the difference is huge. The sweet potatoes must have gone perfectly the duck meat I bet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lucky, my husband loves duck as mch as I do and he makes this at least once every two weeks. (Duck is about the best thing ever!) Looking
    at this is making me drool with delight, I'll have to put duck on the grocery list. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. asecondglanceblog24 March 2012 at 09:08

    Try it! If only to see if you like it :) It also pairs really well with cooked fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. asecondglanceblog24 March 2012 at 09:08

    Oooh lucky you! I must befriend a hunter, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. asecondglanceblog24 March 2012 at 09:08

    Can I move in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a brunch! Thanks for linking up with Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!