Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pulled barbecue chicken sandwiches

Mmm, mmm, mmm!! I love me some moist chicken, slow cooked in a tangy-and-sweet sauce, piled on a piece of crunchy bread, and topped with melting, gooey cheese.

If your taste buds are drooling right now, you can thank LV of Food, Fashion and Flow, because her recipe is what started all this. Her version combines bottled barbecue sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire. In mine, I made the barbecue sauce from scratch and omitted the Worcestershire (since I'd already included it in my barbecue sauce).

To make sauce, saute 1/4 cup chopped sweet onions in oil until brown. Add 1 cup red pepper chilli spread, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 T vinegar, 2 T brown sugar, 1 T Worcestershire sauce, 1 T mustard, 1/2 T dry mustard,  1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp sweet or hot paprika and 1/4 tsp pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Combine this mixture with 1/2 cup Italian dressing and 1/4 cup brown sugar. 

Place 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in crockpot. Pour sauce over chicken and cook on high for 3 hours. Take fork and shred chicken. Then reduce to low and cook one more hour.

Serve open-faced on crusty bread. You can also top with grated marble cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes, as I did below.  

 
To all the American readers, I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

15 comments:

  1. Nice post, I like it so much!sound so good!!

    Fox House giveaway on my blog!
    Take a look and if you like follow me, I’ll be waiting for you: Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM Kat you're going to turn me into a meat eater one of these days! I added your stuffed zucchini recipe to my list of 'must-tries'-now all I need is a scooper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks sooo yummy! i will try this out! thanks for the post
    follow for follow??
    http://tiasauraus.blogspot.com/
    *following you now* follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, your chicken looks great! I bet it is amazing with the sauce made from scratch. AWESOME!!!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nummy! I wish I had the patience to attempt something like this. Unfortunately, I don't...but if you'd like to come on over and cook some up for me, I'd be fine with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. YUM!!! That looks amazing!

    Didn't make it to Devela on this trip - but I'm back down to Oz for Jan and Feb so I will for sure find it then!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe ! So nice =)
    I think your blog is very nice, I would like to invite you to my blog, follow if you like it and also there's a Chanel and Too Faced make up giveaway going on and I think you might like it ! Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies
    My Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg I am drooling over your first few lines of this post. Your description sounds delish. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE recipe posts! This looks DELISH.

    xx,
    Ellen
    http://www.mintgreensubmarine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. that sandwich looks amazing!
    funny to see a non-turkey post on thanksgiving day
    love it!!!
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could just eat my computer screen right now!! That looks so amazingly delicious!

    http://seahorsesoldiers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing! I'm so hungry now haha.
    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for your comment on my blog..

    oooh it looks delicious!! i should make my own version soon for my boyfriend... thanks for the idea!

    i think i'll have many things to learn from your blog...

    www.niqueinit.blogspot.com
    NIQUE

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!