Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thai-style salad with chicken and mango

I'm reluctant to ever refer to a dish as straight-up Thai, because I think I lack the credibility to not add that hyphenated mini disclaimer. However, fellow afficionados of Southeast Asian cuisine with recognize those standby ingredients: fish sauce, lime, mango, cilantro, basil. Yum!

The dressing comes from a fantastic vegetarian restaurant cookbook my friends L&S bought me, Rebar. The restaurant is in Victoria, British Columbia. I'll definitely stop in if ever I visit to that part of the west coast. The rest of the salad is my own recipe. Serves 4.

xx

To make, peel and dice 3 mangoes (green ones would be ideal but I used Ataulfo) and 2 cucumbers. Core and dice 3 red peppers. Cook 1 package of rice vermicelli according to directions. Drain noodles, then add mangoes, cucumbers and peppers, plus 2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken and 3/4 cup of roasted peanuts.
 
To make the dressing, dissolve 4T brown sugar in 1 cup hot water and let cool. Stir in 2 cloves of minced garlic,6T lime juice, 4T fish sauce, 2T soy sauce and 1 tsp sambal oelek. (I omitted the jalapeño this recipe also called for).

Top with plenty of basil and cilantro before serving.

Options: Add bean sprouts. Replace chicken with tofu. Replace peanuts with cashews.


2 comments:

  1. I am always so impressed by all of the things you come up with in the kitchen, Kat! This salad looks delicious - but I'm always up for anything that involves a healthy dose of cilantro :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love that this actually has mangoes in it! Great dish!!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!