(This is the eighth post in my wedding series.)
Seating charts are notoriously tricky, so I thought ours deserving of its own post. On the one hand, they're a great way to inject some personality into a wedding, and anything done in multiples is bound to look riveting. On the other hand, they require quite a bit of forethought and they can't be completed before the final RSVPs have been received. Seating charts designed around individual cards or other items picked up by guests look great in photos, but quickly become messy and bare. We decided to go with a DIY board-based seating chart, using this beautiful photo for inspiration.
We used a 4' x 3' piece of plywood covered in a lace white fabric donated by a family friend, but foam board would also work well.
The cards were printed on a very light grey shimmer card stock. We'd used an ivory version in our invitations and the programmes.
The felt roses were from Dollarama (9/$1), a perfect match for suede ribbon purchased with a Groupon from a crafting supply store. The sheer pink ribbon with gilt edging and the grey ribbon were miscellaneous scraps left over from other wedding projects.
The font may be too small to read, but the middle card says 'Head Table' and under it, 'The Bride' and 'The Groom'. The first names of our bridesmaids and groomsmen are printed on an angle and arranged in order of seating.
We created the illusion of layered card stock by adding a border directly in Word. The ribbon was threaded through a slit cut with an Exacto knife, and secured in the back.