Monday, August 12, 2013

Baked cod with fresh herbs, lemon butter and olive foccacia breadcrumb topping

You know those days when something shitty happens, then you turn around and are suddenly on the receiving end of a random act of kindness?  Yeah, those moments are awesome. It may not compensate for the shitty thing, but it sure goes a long way to restoring your faith in humanity.

Shitty: My locked-up-in-a-public-area bike was stolen, my second such theft in as many years. Awesome: A neighbourhood gourmet sandwich shop comped me a free loaf of olive foccacia bread with my order, and on the same day my friend offered me a free ticket to a local event. 

A couple of days later, what remained of the foccacia loaf had hardened, so I pulverized it into breadcrumbs for this dish. I didn't toast them in advance; they browned as the cod baked. The salty olives added a nice flavour to the mild and moist cod.

xx

To make, finely chop one large handful each of whatever fresh herbs you have on hand. I  used marjoram, thyme and dill. Grate the rind of one lemon. Melt 4T butter, stir in 2T lemon juice and brush onto four filets of cod. Top with chopped herbs, grated lemon rind and breadcrumbs. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Season to taste.

We ate this with steamed broccoli and a wild and brown rice blend.


5 comments:

  1. homemade breadcrumbs are the best, especially if they came from a great loaf to begin with! I miss having fresh seafood. I haven't sought out any local stuff here in St Louis just yet, but I'm so hoping they have more than Illinois!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, you have managed to make me very hungry. This looks really good. There is nothing like homemade bread crumbs and this looks like a great alternative to frying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame about your bike, it is is wonderful the way the universe has of balancing things out in its own way. Although I shouldn't have read this post so close to lunch time, because now I'm way hungrier than I was before I stopped by your blog!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  4. man that sucks about the bike, jay had his stolen a few years ago too. what is wrong with people? i'm glad there was a (little) silver lining in your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so sorry about your bike! grrr.. it's so frustrating. i'm glad you figured out a way to make those bread crumbs work. i thought you were gonna say you figured out a way to make your own version of the foccacia too. i bet you totally could.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!