Thursday, July 11, 2013

Vegetable and herb frittata

B and I had a great trip to Boston. Highlights for me were visiting the coastal towns north of the city, Marblehead and Salem, trying new food, seeing my first ballgame at night, and just exploring the city hand-in-hand with B, our first real quality time together in a couple of weeks. We had a few hiccups - a 5am fire alarm at the hotel, a short spell of heat stroke on a day registering 43C, but it isn't a trip without it! The Wrentham Premium Outlets were awesome. B took a long detour to the gym, but was a saint and still logged over 6 hours of shopping with me. He's a keeper! We mostly stuck to the sales but found some great stuff at 50-75% off.

We indulged well on our trip but coming home I was looking forward to some healthy homemade food. My neighbour gave me locally-grown garlic scapes which I used in a frittata, along with herbs grown on our balcony. Yay for high-rise gardening! 

To make, in a large mixing bowl, break 12 eggs and stir with a fork until combined. Add 1 cup grated sharp cheddar. Stir in a handful of fresh chopped herbs. I used chives, marjoram and thyme. Add generous amount of freshly cracked pepper. Mix until combined. Set aside

In a large skillet, melt 4T duck fat over medium heat. Add 1/2 red onion, diced, and 3 garlic scapes, cut into 1" pieces. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 6 coarsely chopped mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup chopped candied tomatoes (or used canned sun-dried tomatoes) and stir to combine.

Increase heat to medium-high. Pour in egg mixture. With one hand, shake pan gently back and forth. With the other hand, use a fork with the tines parallel to bottom of pan, and use the fork to stir the egg mixture in concentric circles.

Once eggs have set on bottom (will resemble scrambled eggs), but are still runny on top, place pan into an oven preheated on the broil setting. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the eggs have set and edges have just started to brown. Serve with a side salad.

Serves 4.





2 comments:

  1. Heat stroke? wow. glad you are ok because when I hear heat stroke it makes my antenna go up. It has been years since I have been to Boston and I have been wanting to go back for a long time. I bet your trip was amazing in spire of the hiccups. Did you get anything good at the outlets? Wow 6 hours of shopping, he is definitely a keeper:-) The fritatta looks delicious! I love eating them because they are packed with protein and with a side salad it makes a very filling meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did! I had the most success at Ted Baker, which was a new store for me, and DKNY. And yeah, some Gatorade, Tylenol, rest and shade helped with the heat stroke. The problem was we couldn't bring any liquids into the park and we were corralled into a sweltering crowd to go through security and that took about 30 minutes. Gotta be careful!

      Delete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!