Saturday, July 02, 2011

Spicy salmon sushi and Asian-style coleslaw

SPICY SALMON SUSHI ROLLS

B and I have (*ahem*) healthy appetites, and sushi dinners can get expensive fast. So I taught myself to make my own for those rare days when I have a couple of hours to spare.

Make the sushi rice according to package directions, then let cool to room temperature. Place your seaweed wraps shiny side up on a bamboo sushi mat and top with a thin layer of rice. I keep a bowl of cold water close by to rinse my fingers. Leave a thin strip uncovered at the far end of your seaweed so you can seal the roll. Add thin strips of avocado, peeled and deseeded cucumber, sushi-grade salmon, spicy mayo (see recipe below), Panko breadcrumbs and sesame seeds, or whatever suits your fancy. Roll up using the bamboo mat, pressing firmly as you go, and seal the edge with some water. Slice the sushi rolls into sets of 6 or 8 using a very sharp knife. Run the knife under hot water between each roll for easier slicing. Serve with pickled ginger and a dollop of wasabi.

IMPROVISED SPICY MAYO

To make the spicy mayo, combine 1/3 cup of regular mayonnaise with 1T sesame oil, 1 T rice vinegar and 1 tsp hot pepper flakes (I'm guessing the amounts I used - adjust according to your taste and preference). Mix well and spoon mayonnaise into a small Ziploc bag. Seal the bag, snip a small hole in the corner and squeeze the mayo onto the rolls. Leftover mayo will keep in the fridge and can be used for other dishes, such as a condiment for a crab salad wrap.
  
ASIAN-STYLE COLESLAW

For the Asian-style coleslaw, grate equal amounts of peeled Granny Smith apple, cabbage, and carrots. (I used store-bought matchstick carrots). The original recipe calls for Daikon radish instead of cabbage but I haven't tried this variation yet. Add 1 to 2 T of finely chopped green onion. For about 2 cups of salad, add 2 T rice vinegar, 1 T sugar and a couple of shakes of salt. Mix well and let the salad absorb the dressing for about 15 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. That's amazing that you made the sushi, they look delicious! I am now craving them!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!