Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Carrot-oat balls

I recently discovered a new pair of Ottawa food bloggers, El and Emily, who are behind Double Trouble Kitchen Edition (check it out!). They recently featured no-bake carrot cake balls which I wasted no time in making myself. Carrot cake is perhaps a bit of a misnomer but these bite-size morsels are packed with energy boosters. The delicious yet intriguing taste evolves from the first bite as other flavours start to come through. They're super easy to make and a great snack to keep on hand. I followed the ingredients as listed, except for rolled oats, for which I subsituted the instant oatmeal I had in the cupboard. I also varied the quantities (and by that I mean I didn't measure so these are my guesstimates below). I definitely had more than 1/4 cup of shredded carrot, and based on the photo I think I used more wet ingredients.

 To make, finely grate 1 cup carrot and place in a large mixing bowl. Add 3 packages instant oatmeal (I used one plain and two maple-cinnamon), 1/2 cup slivered almonds, 1/2 sultana raisins, 1/4 cup flaxseed, 1/4 shredded sweetened coconut, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and enough maple syrup and almond butter (added in equal proportions) to 'bind' the dry ingredients together. 

Refrigerate the mixture for an hour, then roll into 1" balls. Keep refrigerated.


4 comments:

  1. yum!! yours turned out very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! I thought they would be savory, but it's even better like this for a sweet energy booster!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favourite eats that I have tired so far of yours Kat and I cant wait to make some more! highly recommend this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, what an interesting idea! Thanks for linking it up to Food on FRiday. Hope life is treating you well. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely enjoy reading everyone's comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!